I love Christmas. I think in part its because its the one time of year people can't just be pulled away, and I get to be around my amazing family for 2 or 3 days and there is so much love floating around I feel almost euphoric.
But yes, Cake. I am baking one.
Firstly I failed to put the fruit in the Tea and Rum Mixture last night, so now its soaking for 2 hours, and I am updating my blog with my thoughts from the last 2 days (or so). I use a mixture of Tea and Rum because my OSO (other significant other) is Tee-total and dislikes the taste of alcohol. So a mix it is.
In this particular instance it is a bird and blend tea called mulled cider, which is amazing, though I just used the last of it.
So now I have just put it in the oven and my kitchen smells of spices and warm things that remind me of family. This year my aim is to not burn the cake as I did last year, though in the end it wasn't as bad as I had feared.
The batter is always very liquidy, this is because it's gluten free, and otherwise it becomes dry, but I include pictures of the process and the way it all looks , in part because I am new to blogging things and in part because I love photo's, I love the moments they capture, the love, the sillyness and all things in between.
This is the point at which technically you can still lick the bowl, its sweet and treacley and buttery and it tastes divine. I would have worried about the calories but at this point I am going to enjoy the simple pleasure of having licked at the smudge on my hand.
The batter looks so good at this point, so together and so coherent and lush and smooth. Then I added the fruit.
If I hadn't made this last year I would have worried at the way it looks curdelled and non batter like. but it worked really well, so I am keen to improve on it this year.
Now I have a timer set for 2 hours so I can begin checking on the cake to try and stop it from burning. So I am watching a film.
Then the cake was done. It was warm when I took these pictures having been cooling for a little while.
I am super excited about the cake now, with the idea of being able to decorate and know that I have put time and effort into something that others will enjoy.
When it comes to feeding I continue to use the rum and tea mix, roughly in 1 part rum to 2 parts tea. I think I over fed it last year. It leaked quite profusely for most of the time it was being eaten. So this year I am going to go more gentle and a little bit easier on it I think, then its a case of trying to feed it every couple of weeks.
I will post another post when it comes time for the decorating






No comments:
Post a Comment